So, you read tarot, and you want to make this hobby of yours HUSTLE! I'm here to tell you it is COMPLETELY do-able! Here are 11 ideas to help you get an amazing foundation fast to making more money.
1. Pick a Social Media Platform, and get GOOD with it. Whether it's Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn or Pinterest, what ever social media platform is your favourite, there's almost always a way to make money on it. Pick your platform, become the expert on it, and then focus all that knowledge towards your tarot. Be creative, and be YOU! Posting pictures of tarot cards everyday is SO overdone. Be Consistent! Share stories, announce availability for readings once a week. When you master one platform, add another, and connect them all together.
2. Meet the Other Local Witches/Readers in your area. Sometimes it can be a challenge to get yourself out there, but go where the readers go. Make some friends. These are the people who are doing what you want to do, and it's good to surround yourself with like-minded folk. Other local readers are going to have some answers to your questions, can put you in touch with event co-ordinators, will give you referrals to clients, and may even become a tarot mentor.
3. Know your tarot cards inside and out. I know this may feel like an odd thing to say, but the better you know your cards, the better your readings will be. And if you give great readings, word of mouth travels. If you've made some effort to get to know other readers, most likely you'll have the chance to READ for other readers. And if your readings are great, they are going to recommend you to other readers, and possibly clients. (I've had times when a client comes into my office, and we just don't click. That's when I recommend another reader for them, and you bet I have a list of other readers that I respect and would recommend!) So, if you feel like you need a little more practice, find yourself some tarot lessons with a tarot teacher.
4. Treat your tarot hobby as a real business. Charge what you are worth. If you want to make money (or more money) with your tarot skill, you have to start treating it as a real business. Surrounding your skill with the energy of a serious business might sound like woo-woo, but isn't a bit of woo-woo exactly where we live as tarot readers? (I always tell my clients "This is my real life." after I give them the "for entertainment purposes only" disclaimer.") Keep the receipts, the mileage on your car, and the bookkeeping. If book keeping isn't your thing, hire someone like I do. For the small amount it costs me to hire her, it frees up hours and hours of my life that I spend making more money with tarot. And, the next year, I get to write off the cost of her services. (I write off a portion of my internet, my phone, my gas mileage, and rent, because I treat my tarot as a home business.) OH yes, and be sure to charge an appropriate amount of the amount of time and money you've invested in learning that skill. If you need help finding that number, get Tarot Marketing Mastermind help with your tarot business.
5. Get some business cards for your tarot business. When you give a fabulous reading, or meet other readers, you'll want a professional and personalized way to give them your info. Vista Print Coupons and specials are offered all the time! They are really inexpensive. (If one client comes to you from business cards, that one reading will more than pay for the entire box of 250 of business cards. ) I leave business cards on the table with my tip at restaurants, as well as on cork boards in shops and offices. (They also offer shirts you can personalize with your business name to wear around, as well as flyers you can make up to leave at shops. I use Vista Print all the time.)
6. Set your business up to take payments. This really is part of taking your business seriously, but it's so important to have other payment methods available no matter where you end up. (And especially before the next few steps to making more money.) I make so much more by being able to accept credit cards and debit cards in my business. The tricky bit is that some payment gateways don't allow 'fortune tellers.' So, it's a good thing that our service can also be considered "Councelling" or "Coaching". My favourite Credit Card Processing to Accept Credit cards and debit cards has been Square. NO fees on your first $1000 in sales. And, after that, the rate they take is the lowest I've found. And after using it for a few years, I've never run into snags with it. They deposit your earnings to your bank account the next business day.
7. Participate in Events and Fundraisers. I have taken part in many local events, from Rotary fundraisers, to private events. Sometimes I'm volunteering my time, taking with me all of my business info. I get the chance to meet new people, and I always book one or two parties and a handful of private readings with people I would have never otherwise met. On occasion I've done corporate events where I'm getting paid a flat fee, or a per person fee. All of these events will have other people milling around or being social who may not get a reading with you that night, but connect with you later. Events and Fundraisers are excellent ways to make more money with tarot. Plus, you get to put on your social media that you participated in something special!
8. Set up a booth at farmers markets and craft fairs. These places will usually charge you a small fee to set up, but now that you've set up your tarot as a business, you can write that off! When I do booths, I will always offer short fast readings at a low price. It's always a busy day, and I'll do up to 16 readings in a day before I need to tap out, however, I regard these days more as being social and a way to connect with people one on one. I've had many repeat clients come to my office or book parties after meeting them in person at markets and fairs. People are always in a curious and fun mood at these, in the mood to explore and be open to fun things. (These are when having that Square comes in really handy!)
9. Do Tarot House Parties. I've been doing house parties for over 10 years, and I think the important thing with these are, above all, safety first! I mostly book for women who want to get together or birthday/bridal shower parties. It's important to remember you are running the show. I instruct the hostess before hand what I'll need, and what to expect, and how to prepare their guests. If you want more guidance with how to set up a tarot reading party so they'll be the most successful for you, let's connect!
10. Read Tarot in a Metaphysical or New Age Shop. Being a guest reader in a metaphysical shop can be so much fun, and so lucrative! Whether you just want to be a guest reader every now and again or a permanent fixture, people are always coming in off the street or looking to their favourite new age shop to recommend a good reader for them. I usually ask in every shop what the average price is that a reader charges, as the shops are always going to take a small percent of what you are charging. You may have to get used to the idea of charging a little more, but you'll be surprised how quickly clients will pay for the service of tarot guidance. Being affiliated with a shop can also help boosts your reputation and credentials.
11. Ask for Referrals. Don't be shy! When ever anyone asks what I do, or I get into a convo at markets or events, instead of pitching the person I'm talking to, I like to ask them "If anyone you know might be interested, I'd really appreciate the referral!" when I had them my business card. And, it works! I always ask clients before they sit in my office how they found me, and about 30% come from referrals. (which means asking for the referral has given me a 30% boost in my income.)
The bulk of the other 70% of my income comes from the other Marketing skills I've learned and implemented over the last 10 years, to make tarot reading and energy work my soul income.
Lori-Grace, aka The Little Witch, is a psychic medium who uses tarot cards to connect with spirit guides. She sees clients in her Midland Ontario office and online over video meetings for readings, teaching tarot classes, and Mentorship and coaching with tarot marketing. For more information about Tarot Classes or Tarot Marketing, see her website at http://TheLittleWitch.com
Lori Grace is a professional Psychic Tarot Reader who serves her clients with 29+ years of experience, based on Georgian Bay in Midland Ontario.
The Little Witch Newsletter goes out once a month - One Subscriber will win a FREE One Question Email each newsletter!